Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Physics or Biology ?

This question had been and still haunting me since the day I knew we PPC Scholars are given a choice of choosing either to take Physics or Biology as a supplementary subject to our primary subject, Chemistry.

I’ve been to Physics class and it sure is no field of roses. There are a bunch of complicated derivations, formulas and theories to be remembered and applied in the questions. Worst of all, I heard that the actual A Level Examination Questions are very tricky and there’s always a catch in the question which makes it treacherous to those who embark on the questions lightly. ( so said Mr Sudad, my Physics lecturer ). Based on last year’s statistics ( I’ve heard ), only 26 students managed to obtain an A in Physics.

Upon hearing that we are allowed to switch to Biology on the first week, I decided to try out Biology for a change. My interest and excitement when the class first started quickly faded into blank stares as i struggle to trying to understand all those ( to me ) undecipherable gibberish. Biology, again, proves itself to be of equal match in terms of difficulty to Physics. In the end, I decided to stick to Physics. No surprise there when it gets harder and harder now.

Today, some classmates of mine suggested that I try out Biology because they said with their present lecturer, Biology does sound easier. I was sorely tempted, yes I was, but I had to put my foot down.

I GO ON with Physics.

This question used to be ‘academic-al’, now it’s personal.

Obstacles are meant to be conquered upon. We may be presented with an opportunity to escape that obstacle and to opt for an easier route, and we may go for it, in fact, we do that so often by jumping ship the moment we face difficulty without thinking twice. By all means, go for it but remember this, you’ll never become a better man than the person you are right now by running away from problems and predicaments. How do we achieve ‘becoming outstanding’ ? We don’t achieve ‘becoming outstanding’ by running away problems, or trying to do our bare minimum to survive, we achieve that by constantly challenging obstacles, ones that may seem to be beyond our ability and capability. Brick walls are not there to stop us, they are here to let us show how badly we want something.


Physics is hard, I won’t doubt it ( and I am not implying Biology is easy either ). But the bottom line is, I have been studying it for the past 4 weeks now. I will not certainly change to another subject because it is tough. If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress. I’m tired of running away from problems. I’m tired of scurrying away the moment fate throws an obstacle in my way to my destiny. No, I will not stand down and I will DEFINITELY not bow down my fate. I am the master of my fate, and no one, no one is going to wring that control out of my hand.

If you keep walking down the right path, you'll eventually make progress

Fine, I may fail Physics. Fine, I may be laughed at. But at the end of the day, I will not regret it because at least I know I tried to conquered it instead of running away from it, and I’ve become a better man because of that. The only true competitions that exist in this world is between you and you yourself. You measure your victory by how much you’ve changed for the better at the end of the day. And I am confident I succeed against myself in that part.

There are 2 conditions when facing challenges. Either you are dragged into the arena screaming; or , you can walk into the arena with your head held high, proudly and confidently even if you may not live to see another day, no matter what you’ll be facing, and that is all the difference it makes. I’m tired of running away from problems. I’m tired of running away from the challenges that fate has in store for me on my journey to my ultimate destiny. I’ll face all the challenges present with an open heart and an open mind, no matter what the outcome may be, because in the end of the day, I am sure the victory is mine , no matter what.

It is an uphill battle that I have to undertake.

There is an uphill battle to be fought and won

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek - Barack Obama

No comments: